This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website More info




The following documentation is needed to purchase a property in Portugal:


  • Bilhete de identidade/passaporte = Passport or a Portuguese ID document  
    You will need to provide your lawyer with copies of your passport or ID card. This is required for each individual person or company involved with the purchase

  • Número de contribuinte (NIF) = Fiscal number  
    Anyone wishing to purchase a property in Portugal is required to obtain a Fiscal Number from the "FINANÇAS" (Tax Department). Note : With your fiscal number you can also open a bank account, buy a car etc.


The seller needs to provide the following documents:


  • Caderneta predial = Tax/financial Registration of the property
    This document is issued by the "FINANÇAS" (Tax Department) and shows the financial registration of the property and the rates and taxes payable for this property to the local council. In the case of a rural property the "Caderneta Rústica" is also required.

  • Registo Predial  = Property registration certificate - land registry
    Shows who the registered owner of a property is and if there are any outstanding loans/mortgages on the property, as well as details of the property like constructed area, plot size etc. Obtainable from the "Conservatoria do Registo Predial" (Land registry Office ).

  • Licença de utilização ou construção  = Habitation/construction license required for properties built after 1951
    Issued by the "Câmara Municipal" (Town Hall) and shows that the property has been built according to the approved plans and for the purpose of habitation. No property can be sold without it.

  • Ficha técnica = Property Technical file
    This document is provided by the "Construtor" (Developer/Builder). This is a fairly new requirement (2004) and is the detailed file (ID) of the property construction; suppliers, materials used and all the technical data of the construction process.

  • Energy certificate
    As per the new law, all properties being sold have to have their own energy certificate.

The following documents have to be completed as part of the sale


  • Contrato de Promessa de compra e venda  = Promissory Contract of purchase and sale.
  • Escritura  Publica = Final deed of conveyance


Please note: This information is  for guidance only and we cannot accept responsibility for any mistakes or misinformation. We strongly recommend Legal and Fiscal Consultations at all times prior to any transaction as the laws are constantly changing